Advanced Business Chinese: Social Gatherings, Office Work, Day-To-Day Operations
author: Zhang Li,Tao Xiaohong
publishing house: PEKING UNIVERSITY PRESS
number of editions: first edition in August 2005
number of print: second print of in February 2008
number of pages: 325 pages
wordage (thousand words): 480 thousand words
format: 787×1092mm 16 format
This book uses simplified Chinese character
with Pin Yin and English annotation in the text
with Pin Yin and English annotation in the new words list
A Description of Business Chinese Readers
Recent developments in China help accelerate her links with foreign countries, especially with the developed countries, by increasing exchange of visits and business. As a happy result a good number of foreigners take great interest in learning Chinese. It is reported that Chinese in taught to 30 million students in more than 100 countries in the world; that over 3.3 million students are taking Chinese courses at various levels in over 12,400 institutions and schools. In the year of 2003 alone the number of foreign participants in HSK (Chinese Proficiency Test) reached to 300,000, the greatest number registered ever before. A large number of the learners are believed to be those people who wish to do business with China or work for the companies, which have close contact with their Chinese counterparts. China’s speedy economic progress has opened up a new vista of commercial opportunities that no foreign companies can after to lose. Modern China has been regarded as a “World Factory” where over one hundred thousand foreign enterprises have settled down, and hundreds of thousand foreign entrepreneur businessmen and managers are living and working. They are very much eager to learn Chinese as their tool of daily communication with the native people, and have commercial contact with local dealers. Programmed and supported by China National Office For Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language (NOCFL), we, the members of the Compiling Group, have prepared Business Chinese Readers.
For Whom the Course is Intended
Among the industrialists and businessmen who wish to learn Chinese there is nearly no one who is able to take a systematic course at an institution. The great majority of them would like to take a part-time short course, self-taught or person-to-person learns instead, because they do not want to tale Chinese as their major, nor do they wish to become a fluent speaker of Chinese. All they wish to do is to acquire necessary Chinese know ledge and skills that may be needed in their communication with Chinese people without too much difficulty, and thus to enhance their success in business. The present course is prepared for those industrialists and businessmen who have never learned or have just begun learning basic Chinese that is not their mother tongue.
Skills to be Taught
Any economic and commercial transaction between China and a foreign country may be viewed as cross-cultural activities in nature. The removal of language barriers and differents that lie in the understanding of the culture, subtle points and principles expressed by a target language will be greatly beneficial for one’s commercial success. It is advisable, therefore, for foreigners to acquire the following abilities through learning a textbook of business Chinese:
(1) Basic Chinese knowledge and skills that is applicable to one’s commercial activities;
(2) Communicative ability appropriate to Chinese environment----be able to understand the essentials of Chinese economic circumstances and rules for business performance, including trade, investment, cooperation and management of enterprises;
(3) Competence for cross-cultural communication in the context of economic and cooperative interchange ----- a wide range of knowledge of business custom and rules in addition to the background information of Chinese culture.
Therefore it seems appropriate to design the teaching of business Chinese in three-in-one training pattern that combines the language as a carrier with commercial activities and cross-cultural knowledge. Such skills to be used in language communication may be provided at four levels in an ascending order:
(1) Ability to use appropriate expressions on polite social occasion of reception, greeting, introduction, apology and congratulation.
(2) Ability to use appropriate expressions for shopping, traveling, bus riding, telephoning and appointment making.
(3) Ability to use appropriate expressions for commercial activities such as giving a brief account of a company or product, getting or giving a quotation, comment or statement.
(4) Ability to use appropriate expressions in consulting, negotiating, bargaining, writing or revising a plan, discussing a way to cooperate, making a comment on a subject in addition to analyzing and sorting out problems.
The present Business Chinese Readers aim at helping learners to acquire the 4-level ability described above. By completing this course they will have learned Chinese phonetics, basic Chinese grammar, over 200 commonly used sentence patterns, about 1200 words and 500 Chinese characters. Learners may make an overall plan of their own, or decide what stage of the three that they are going to reach.
Chinese characters may be difficult for some learners, but they only function as a supplementary tool in learning this course. Learners will decide for themselves to learn them or not.
Contents Applicable to Teaching
In each text of the book the language items are organized in a conversation on the basis of communicative function against a xommercial Chinese background. Precisely they are ----
(1) Commercial Chinese expressions: Simple sentences are grouped together according to their correlative function. Useful compound sentences would not be introduced until they reach the advance and intensive stage.
(2) A commonly-used basic commercial vocabulary: It is provided alongside with each classroom conversation and its expansion.
(3) Pronunciation: Pinyin is taught as an instrument for phonetics in the process of learning Chinese words and expressions.
(4) Chinese characters: By following well-illustrated explanations learners will be able to recognize commonly-used Chinese characters. They may have a choice in learning or not learning to write them.
(5) English explanation is given to each text, new words, grammar items and phonetics.
(6) Exercises: Phonetic, lexical and conversational exercises are designed for learners to fully comprehend and familiarize themselves with the texts.
(7) Cultural background knowledge: Inserted in between are the brief accounts of Chinese society, culture, customs and commercial background knowledge.
(1) This course provides printed textbooks accompanied by multimedia discs. Teachers and learners may avail themselves of both to get the best expected.
(2) Practice and drills are arranged for each unit classified by various communicative function. In typical and common situations learners are given necessary knowledge and skills for communication.
(3) Learners may go to a class for group tuition or take private lessons under a tutor, or even learn self-taught lessons provided by the course book.
The Organization of the Constituent Volumes
Business Chinese Readers consist of three volumes:
(1) Gateway to Business Chinese (Regular Formulas And Etiquette) is designed for beginners learning necessary Chinese expressions for daily commercial communication and skills for polite social intercourse.
(2) Gateway to Business Chinese (Daily Communication) is prepared for beginners who acquire language skills in day-to-day social dealings.
(3) Advanced Business Chinese (Social Gatherings, Office Work, Day-To-Day Operations) is devised for the training of intermediate learners in language skills for business information exchange.
The ascending three-stage arrangement of the textbooks will meet different needs and each one may stand by itself. Learners have a free choice in taking the course as a whole or just follow one or two parts of it. The third volume does not simply serve as an advanced textbook in terms of difficulty or expansion. What’s important is that they focus on the consolidation proficiency and mastery of the Chinese knowledge acquired through a comprehensive study of the subject. The repetition of the language items is beneficial for learners to memorize and employ them well, and the reoccurrence of the dialogue situations will be good for the repeated use of the expressions and the introduction of new contextual and syntactic formation. By so doing learners will be able to understand and apply what they have learned in a better; wider and more precise manner.
Each of the volumes is accompanied with a CD for multimedia use.
应酬篇 Social Gatherings
第1课 请您参加 You Are Invited
第2课 请笑纳 Please Kindly Accept This Small Gift
第3课 请大家举杯 Join Me in Raising Your Glasses, Everybody
第4课 我来买单 It’s on Me
办公篇 Office Work
第5课 请处理一下这些文件 Please Get the Documents Processed
第6课 总经理想见见你 the General Manager Wants to See You
第7课 请大家努力完成新的工作 Will You All Try Your Best to Fulfill the New Task
第8课 日程已经安排好了 Your Daily Schedule Is Ready
第9课 下午五点开会 The Meeting Will Begin at Five Pm
业务篇 Day-to-Day Operations
第10课 我向您介绍一下我们的企业 I’ll Give You a Brief Description of Our Firm
第11课 请看这边 Please Look at These Products
第12课 这就是我们的产品 These Are Our Products
第13课 请谈谈您的看法 We’d Like to Hear Your comments
第14课 产品的市场表现如何 How Are the Goods Being Received on the Market
第15课 请您报价 What’s Your Quoted Price, Please?
第16课 希望贵方能早一点儿交货 We Hope You’ll Deliver the Goods As soon As Possible
第17课 我们希望采用信用证支付方式 We Prefer Payment to Be Made by L/C
第18课 我可以提几个要求吗 Could I Make a Few Requests
第19课 公司已经作出决定 The Company Has Already Reached a Decision
第20课 我们愿作出承诺 We’ll Commit Ourselves to That
练习参考答案 Key to the Exercises
If you think this product’s information is wrong, or the price is more expensive than other shops, or you need us to add some other products to our site, please click HERE to let us know, in order to make us provide better services for you, thank you in advance.
Customers who bought this product also purchased:
·CME: Chinese Made Easier (1) (second edition ) (with 2 MP3)
·A Practical Business Chinese Reader (revised edition)
·Boya Chinese-Elementary Start: Volume 1+1MP3
·Graded Chinese Reader 2000 Words: Selected, Abridged Chinese Contemporary Short Stories+MP3
·Easy Steps to Chinese vol. 1: Textbook + 1CD